Map
Satelite


Show on map

Dreifaltigkeitskirche

Dreifaltigkeitskirche

Dreifaltigkeitsgasse 14
5020 Salzburg
+43662 877495
+43662 877495 62
Information
The Church of the Holy Trinity is the most significant sacred building on the right bank of the Old City and the first church designed by the great Baroque architect Fischer von Erlach. The dominant dome, the sweeping façade, the twin towers and the palace-type wings are definitely the eye-catcher on Makart Square.

Archbishop Johann Ernst von Thun had commissioned a priests' house and seminary to be built on this site. The construction of the immense building took from 1694 to 1702. The architect based his design of the church, which was connected to the priests' house, on Roman architecture..

The new Baroque style introduced by Fischer von Erlach's is noteworthy and can also be found in some of his other Salzburg churches. The Church of the Holy Trinity is famous for its dome fresco by Johann Michael Rottmayr, portraying the crowning of the Virgin Mary and the Holy Trinity. The Church of the Holy Trinity is one of the few Baroque churches which escaped the extravagant pomp of this architectural period.


back
© 2014 - Tourismus Salzburg GmbH - 5020 Salzburg - Tel. +43662 88987-0