Map
Satelite


Show on map

Erhardkirche

Erhardkirche

Nonntaler Hauptstraße 12
5020 Salzburg
+43662 843642
Information
The Nonntal is one of the oldest residential areas in Salzburg: the oldest Roman building in Salzburg was discovered near St. Erhard's Church. Initially built as a hospital chapel, St. Erhard is owned by the Nonnberg Convent. St. Erhard was a contemporary of Salzburg's patron, St. Rupert Rupert. Of Irish/Scottish heritage, St. Erhard was known as a miraculous healer of the sick and protector of the poor.

Architectural history
The new Erhard Church was built in 1689 according to plans by the young architect, Giovanni Gaspare Zugalli, at the site of the former chapel. A cemetery was opened across from the church in 1727, but closed again in the middle of the 19th century. St. Erhard's Church became a parish church in 1853. Due to the consistency of its Italian baroque style, St. Erhard's Church is one of the most noteworthy sacred buildings in Salzburg.

Architecture and interior
The church is a masterpiece of Salzburg architecture originating in a period that was dominated by the Italian baroque style with all its extravagance, joy of life and wealth of color and ornamentation. Its special features include the dome crowning the two square towers of the façade, the double flight of steps and a wall fountain with a lion's head gargoyle. The water was said to come from a mineral spring with purifying and life-giving properties.
The interior of St. Erhard's Church is characterized by rich colors and elaborate decoration by the brothers Francesco and Carl-Antonio Brenno. The painting on the high altar depicts "The Baptism of St. Ottilia by St. Erhard," painted in 1692 by Johann Michael Rottmayr. The spacious high altar, embellished with stucco marble, is the work of the sculptor Andreas Götzinger.
The figures sculpted in the high relief represent Salzburg's three founding bishops, St. Rupert, St. Vitalis and St. Virgil and St. Martin of Tours. The four cardinal virtues, prudence, fortitude, temperance and justice, are attributed to the four bishops.

----------------

Opening hours
Daily 8.00 a.m. - 7.00 p.m.
No visits during mass!

back
© 2014 - Tourismus Salzburg GmbH - 5020 Salzburg - Tel. +43662 88987-0