Map
Satelite


Show on map

Müllner Kirche

Müllner Kirche

Augustinergasse 4
5020 Salzburg
+43662 432671
+43662 432671 19
Information
Events
The Mülln Parish Church stands on a site steeped in history: the hill in the Mülln district above the banks of the Salzach was a cult site in heathen times. The foundation walls of the ancient settlement area date back to the prehistoric age. A Chapel of Our Lady from the Nonnberg and St. Peter's Monastery is said to have existed at the "Mühlen" (mills) from 1048. A lovely crucifix from the Romantic period has been preserved. The small church gradually became too small for the growing population. Construction of a Late Gothic church commenced in 1439 and was completed in 1453.

Architecture and interior
The Mülln Church was redesigned in the late Baroque era: its modest entrance imparts none of the splendor found inside. Two lions' heads adorn the church portal, the hall is dominated by the mighty high altar made of red marble. It contains a precious miraculous statue of the Madonna with Child, a late medieval masterpiece (1460). Its contours are modeled after the "Beautiful Madonna." The altar wings for the side chapel were painted by Johann Michael Rottmayr around 1690. Two gigantic bronze candlesticks (1700) underline the solemnity and resplendence of the altar. The richly decorated pulpit with its curved balustrade is the work of Johann Georg Hitzl. A two-story gallery, whose balustrade stretches across the entire room, is a fascinating sight.

The Mülln Church today
Today the Mülln Church marks the end of Salzburg's Old City in the northeast near the Mülln "Bräustüberl" (beer garden). The pyramid-shaped roof covering its high Gothic tower was replaced by a characteristic double lantern spire in 1673. Those taking a walk across the Mönchsberg should stop to glance inside the Mülln Church at the beginning or end of their city tour.

------------------------------------

Opening hours: daily 8.00 a.m. until 6.00 p.m. (in summer until 7.00 p.m.)

No visits during mass!


back
© 2014 - Tourismus Salzburg GmbH - 5020 Salzburg - Tel. +43662 88987-0