Map
Satelite


Show on map

Judengasse

Judengasse

Judengasse
5020 Salzburg
Information
The Judengasse in Salzburg is often considered an extension of the Getreidegasse on a stroll through the city. The narrow lane curves from the Old Marketplace to the Waagplatz. The Judengasse and the Jewish School at number 15 were first documented in 1377. The name is of historic origin: during the Middle Ages the Judengasse was the center of the Jewish settlement and one of Salzburg's oldest thoroughfares. It was part of the Jewish district up to their expulsion in 1498.

The earliest documentary evidence of a Jewish settlement in Salzburg dates back to 1284. The Salzburg archbishops transacted business with Jewish merchants and bankers. But the persecution of the Jews and mass executions reveal the dominance that prevailed in the clerical city of Salzburg.

The buildings and their history
Several buildings in Judengasse bear witness to the city's moving past. A synagogue was located at number 15 until 1415; number 3 has an especially striking façade with the only art nouveau portal in Salzburg. The composer, Heinrich Biber, lived at Number 13 from 1672 to 1684.

Judengasse today
The Judengasse is one of the most popular Shopping miles in Salzburg's Old City. In addition to modern boutiques offering international haute couture, it has shops that sell fine chocolate, lovely souvenirs, furnishings, Easter eggs and Christmas ornaments all year round.


back
© 2014 - Tourismus Salzburg GmbH - 5020 Salzburg - Tel. +43662 88987-0