Prince-Archbishop Maximilian Gandolph Count Kuenburg (1668–1687)
In order to mark his election as prince-archbishop of Salzburg 350 years ago, a special exhibition at the DomQuartier is dedicated to this multifaceted personality. We find many traces of Maximilian Gandolph’s legacy in Salzburg to this very day.
A man of art, culture and the church
Max Gandolph was a highly educated man and book lover, who actively supported the university and founded the court library (“Max Gandolph Library) in the Neue Residenz. He transformed Salzburg into the European center of Baroque music and commissioned construction of Maria Plain Pilgrimage Church, the Cajetan Church as well as St. Erhard’s Church in Nonntal.
The exhibition in detail
The exhibition at the Cathedral Museum in the North Oratory – the first to focus on Prince-Archbishop Max Gandolph von Kuenburg – casts light on four aspects of his life as a person, politician, patron and archbishop. In addition, information is presented at various points in the DomQuartier itself where Max Gandolph is immortalized by his family crest.
- Hours: Wed to Mon, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. (latest admission: 4 p.m.)