Map
Satelite


Show on map

Großes Festspielhaus

Großes Festspielhaus

Hofstallgasse 1
5020 Salzburg
+43662 8045 0
+43662 8045 555
Information
Events
The Large Festival Hall (Grosses Festspielhaus) in Hofstallgasse was built from 1956 to 1960 to plans by the architect, Clemens Holzmeister. It is one of the Salzburg Festival's most impressive venues. The Festival's high society encounters onlookers and a flock of international photographers outside its doors each year as luxury cars line up on the "golden" pavement in Hofstallgasse.

Architectural history
Work on the Large Festival Hall commenced in 1956 when approx. 55,000 cubic meters of conglomerate rock were cut out of the Mönchsberg to make room for the huge backstage area. Clemens Holzmeister already distinguished himself as the architect of the Small Festival Hall during the 1920s. The building, specially designed as a festival hall, incorporated the original façade of the former royal stables, which were transformed into a break room. The floor is decorated with mosaic horse heads, reminiscent of the building's former use. With a width of 100 meters, the Large Festival Hall is one of the largest opera houses in the world. It opened July 26, 1960 with a performance of Richard Strauss' "Rosenkavalier" conducted by Herbert von Karajan.

An opera house for art fans
Countless works of art can be found inside the building, including two sculptures made of Carrara marble by Wander Bertoni called "Theater" and "Music", four large crosses on the theme "Dreams with the Wrong Solutions" by Robert Longo (blue: "Pressure on Heaven," red: "Prayers on Fire," gold: "Crying in Oublic" and black: "Songs of Surrender"), ceramic sculptures by Arno Lehmann, the "12-tone relief" as a tribute to Anton von Webern by Rudolf Hoflehner and mural paintings by Wolfgang Hutter and Rudolf Plattner.



back
© 2014 - Tourismus Salzburg GmbH - 5020 Salzburg - Tel. +43662 88987-0