Dreifaltigkeitskirche - Holy Trinity Church
The Church of the Holy Trinity – the Dreifaltigkeitskirche – is the most important sacred building on the right bank of the historic district and a masterpiece of the great baroque architect, Fischer von Erlach. The dominant dome, the sweeping façade, the twin towers and the palatial side wings are absolute eyecatchers on Makart Square.
In its interior, visitors will find the so-called Anliegenbuch or “Book of Concerns”, where they have the opportunity to write down their worries and wishes. Once a week, a church service is held that is focused on the personal thoughts which have been expressed in this book. Also taking place here once a week –Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. – is a new concert series known as Musica Sacra Trinitatis Salisburgensis.
The church was built thanks to the efforts of Archbishop Johann Ernst von Thun, who wished to create a lasting home for the theological seminary. The mighty structure was erected between 1694 and 1702. The architect drew upon the creations of Roman architects as models for his own church, which was also connected to the seminary itself. Particularly noteworthy are the new baroque elements introduced by Fischer von Erlach, which may also be observed at his other churches in Salzburg. The Church of the Holy Trinity became especially famous for its dome fresco by Johann Michael Rottmayr, depicting the coronation of Mary and the Holy Trinity.