Museum of Modern Art Salzburg Rupertinum
The Museum der Moderne at the Rupertinum presents rotating exhibitions of international caliber on 700 m². This Early Baroque building in the center of the historic district is unmistakable thanks to the “Tongue Beards” of Friedensreich Hundertwasser.
First chronicled in 1350, the building occupies a prominent location between the Franciscan Church and Collegiate Church. Under Archbishop Paris Lodron, the Palais "Collegium Rupertinum" served as an educational institution for aspiring priests. The Rupertinum was run as a home for children and students until 1974.
A Museum for Modern Art
In 1983, the building transferred to public ownership as the “Salzburg Museum of Modern Art and Graphic Collection”. Over the years, the rooms of the Rupertinum were adapted and now provide an outstanding setting primarily for graphic art and photography. Major remodeling took place in 2016 and the Generali Foundation Study Center moved into the Rupertinum.
The Generali Foundation comprises around 2100 works by 250 renowned artists and is one of the biggest private collections in Austria. The extensive archives, the library and parts of the collection of the Generali Foundation were merged on permanent loan with the holdings of Museum der Moderne Salzburg and are available free of charge.
Austrian Photography Collection
Photography has been collected at Museum der Moderne Salzburg since 1981. Whereas initially the holdings of Salzburg Province were administered in parallel to purchases by the Austrian Ministry of the Arts, the national collection is now officially known as the “Austrian Federal Photo Collection at Museum der Moderne Salzburg” and comprises around 12,000 individual titles.
The museum is barrier-free accessible.