Cathedral Square & Marian Statue
The grand Cathedral Square lies directly in front of Salzburg Cathedral, in the heart of the baroque historic district. The Marian Statue enthroned upon the square was built out of marble in the 18th century.
Cathedral square description
Archbishop Wolf Dietrich was the power behind construction of Cathedral Square. It is characterized by its architectural unity and exceptional beauty. Standing right on the square are the cathedral itself, the Residenz (official residence of the prince-archbishops) and one wing of St. Peter’s Monastery. This square connects to two other famous city squares, the Residenzplatz and Kapitelplatz, as well as through various arcades with the Franziskanergasse.
This statue was clearly influenced by other Marian statues located in Vienna and Munich. In this case, the statue of the Immaculata, the Virgin Mary, was commissioned by Archbishop Sigismund Graf Schrattenbach. Between 1766 and 1771, brothers Wolfgang and Johann Baptist Hagenauer created the figure, a combination of sculpted marble and cast lead.
From the middle of the arcades leading to Franziskanergasse, the somewhat classicistic Marian statue appears to be precisely located on the central axis of the cathedral. It unites optically with the angels on the cathedral façade and is crowned by the crown which is installed there.
Cathedral Square today
Due to its self-contained form, Cathedral Square has proven itself as the ideal venue for performances of the famous “Jedermann” morality play by Hugo von Hofmannsthal during the Salzburg Festival. During the summer months, the stage and audience grandstand invite you to enjoy a pleasant break amid the bustling historic district. In winter, the Salzburg Christkindlmarkt is held here, while autumn treats us to a series of events including Ruperkirtag.