Salzburg Residenz Palace
The Salzburg Residenz lies in the heart of the historic district and was once the baroque power center at the time of the prince-archbishops. Today, the Alte Residenz has been made accessible to the general public thanks to the DomQuartier museum tour, while also serving as an extraordinary event location.
The Residenz as part of the DomQuartier
Along with Salzburg Cathedral and St. Peter’s Abbey, the Residenz is one of the three buildings which provide the backdrop for the DomQuartier, which was opened in 2014. The sumptuous chambers of the Residenz – which formerly served as rooms of state as well as private apartments for Salzburg’s prince-archbishops – along with the Residenz Gallery, with its magnificent collection of European painters from the 16th to 19th centuries, are now integrated into one continuous tour of the building complex.
The Magnificent Halls of the Prince-Archbishops
A journey back into the days of the prince-archbishops begins by stepping into the Carabinieri Hall. This splendid room was built in 1600 under Wolf Dietrich, serving as a place for state gatherings, as a banquet hall and theater. For its part, the Knights’ Hall was the venue for one of the more important moments in the history of Salzburg: It was here that, on 1 May 1816, Emperor Francis I accepted homage and the oath of allegiance from the civic leaders of Salzburg, which in turn marked the beginning of Salzburg as a part of Austria.
The Residenz over the course of time
Under the reign of the prince-archbishops, the Residenz was one of Salzburg’s most important buildings. It was from here that Salzburg’s rulers shaped the fortunes of the principality until the 19th century, using the splendid building to conduct the many affairs of state. One of the most famous state guests was Emperor Napoleon III, who was received by at the Residenz by Emperor Franz Joseph in 1867. At the end of the 16th century, under Prince-Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau, the building was subjected to major renovations that would give it the appearance we recognize today.
The Residenz continues to be used for state receptions, along with conferences and international congresses. Due to its excellent acoustics, the Knights’ Hall is ideal for concerts and other events. Several prominent areas of the prince-archbishops’ palace are now part of Paris Lodron University of Salzburg. The so-called Tuscany Wing in the north houses Salzburg University’s School of Law.