The DomQuartier is a unique cultural highlight in the heart of Salzburg City. In the magnificent state rooms, history comes alive, while a museum tour also allows you to enjoy imposing views of the city itself.
One entrance ticket – five Salzburg museums
The architectural complex we know today as the DomQuartier comprises the Cathedral and the Residenz – once the center of the prince-archbishops’ power – along with Benedictine St. Peter’s Abbey. With a single entrance ticket, visitors have the opportunity to marvel at five different Salzburg museums. The historical rooms of the DomQuartier also house various collections focused especially on the Baroque history of the city.
A walking tour of the DomQuartier
The starting point for your tour of the DomQuartier are the baroque state rooms of the Alte Residenz. Strolling through the Residenz Gallery, you will pass through the Cathedral Museum and then into the museum of St. Peter’s. The Salzburg Museum’s Rossacher Collection of Baroque art in the northern oratories serves as the final stop on the tour. Yet another unique highlight: The tour also treats visitors to imposing views and a new appreciation for the historical district as well as the city mountains.
Guidobald Graf von Thun and the DomQuartier
Prince-archbishop Wolf Dietrich was substantially responsible for the Baroque historical district of Salzburg which we know and love today. As for the rooms of today’s DomQuartier, we would be remiss not to also mention prince-archbishop Guidobald Graf von Thun. While in power (1654 – 1668), by building the cathedral arches, the Residenz- and Cathedral Squares as well as today’s “Long Gallery” he essentially created the basis for this new museum tour.
The DomQuartier in detail
- State Rooms of the Residenz – former center of the prince-archbishops’ secular power
- Residenz Gallery – internationally acclaimed exhibition of European painting
- Terrace above the cathedral arches – views of Salzburg’s Baroque city center
- North Oratory – special exhibitions
- Cathedral Organ Loft – unique perspective of Salzburg’s spiritual heart
- Cathedral Museum – art treasures from 1300 years of history
- Chamber of Art and Wonders – exhibits and curiosities from art and nature
- Long Gallery – the former painting gallery of the prince-archbishops
- St. Peter’s Museum – exhibition of the spiritual treasures of the oldest abbey in the German-speaking world