New Residence & Carillon
As if it were unable to decide: the New Residence looks upon the magnificent fountain on Residence Square, the Cathedral and the Old Residence while adding its own special flair to Mozart Square. The carillon attracts the attention of passers-by several times a day.
Prince Archbishop Wolf Dietrich's concept
The construction of the New Residence in Salzburg took over one hundred years. Four archbishops were responsible for its appearance, although the building was essentially characterized by Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau. The archbishop had the former buildings torn down in 1588 to raise a new building for himself and his guests. But the archbishop decided to keep the Old Residence as his home in 1605.
Three other "contractors"
Upon completion of the main building and tower of the New Residence, Wolf Dietrich started building the tract on Kaigasse. It was completed by his successor, Archbishop Marcus Sitticus. Archbishop Max Gandolph von Kuenburg had the southern and southwestern tracts built in 1674. This complex primarily accommodated the court library. The arcades were added by Archbishop Johann Ernst Thun, who also added the tower and Salzburg's famous carillon. The archbishop purchased the 35 bells from the bell founder, Melchior de Haze, in Antwerp.
The State Rooms
The royal state rooms on the second floor of the New Residence are known as the Tugendsaal, the Gloriensaal, the Ständesaal, the Feldherrensaal, the Badezimmer and the Bischofssaal. The rich stuccowork in the stairway is modeled after an Italian Renaissance palace.
The New Residence today
Salzburg Museum has been housed in the New Residence on Mozart Square since June 1, 2007. Precious objects of art, esthetic presentations, interesting displays and multimedia installations in various exhibition rooms blend into a harmonious whole.
The building of the Neue Residenz (New Residence) is crowned by the famous Salzburg Glockenspiel. Salzburg's carillon is located in the bell tower on the west side of the New Residence.
The 35 bells were cast in Antwerp between 1688 and 1689. The Salzburg gunsmith, Franz Sulzer, and the bell founder, Benedikt Eisenberger, manufactured the mechanism and brass drum in 1702. The court watchmaker, Jeremias Sauter, drilled the 7,964 holes in the drum required to operate the chimes.
The carillon has operated in Salzburg since 1704. It currently plays approximately 40 melodies, of which 16 are attributed to Johann Michael Haydn. The pieces by Mozart and his father are adaptations from the 19th century.
The watchmaker Johann Baptist Fischer installed clockwork with a special system that triggered the playing mechanism in 1873.